Make two bags in one during this workshop! The versatile & chic Maywood Totepack from Klum House Workshop sews up wonderfully and converts from backpack to tote with the pull of a strap. Intermediate stitchers (also suitable for advanced beginners) will take their sewing and maker skills to the next level while learning to sew a lined tote with a zipper closure and pockets (large enough to carry a 15" laptop). Learn to attach adjustable leather straps with tubular rivets, set a magnetic snap, and attach buckles. Get a thorough introduction to leather strap design, function, and attachment. Ellie Lum, founder of R.E. Load Bags and custom bag maker of 20 years, will guide you through the making process step-by-step, ensuring you build knowledge and confidence along the way. Discover sewing secrets and up your maker game. Leave with a functional, stylish bag that you made from start to finish with your own to hands!
Specific skills learned in this class:
- Sewing multiple layers of heavy duty fabric & leather
- Constructing a leather strap system that converts from tote bag to backpack
- Inserting a zipper
- Inserting a liner
- Boxing corners
- Various ways to set tubular rivets properly
- Inserting a magnetic snap rivet
- Conceptual elements of bag making
You MUST have taken either Sewing 101 or Sewing Bootcamp at WorkshopSF, or you are already competent and comfortable using a sewing machine, in order to attend this class. If you have questions about the sewing skill level required by this class, please email us.
The rules / important stuff:
We have a NO EXCEPTIONS 72 HOUR CANCELLATION policy
- this includes cancellation, re-books, gift certificates, moving classes, etc. For more information on canceling a class, please read our cancellation policy
. All classes are 21+ unless you email for permission. If any questions, please email us at info AT workshopsf DOT org
ALL CLASSES TAKE PLACE AT WORKSHOP, 1798 MCALLISTER STREET UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED ON THE TITLE AND LISTING.