Railtown 1897, Jamestown, CA
Cab rides are offered to the general public and members as a behind-the-scenes experience and opportunity to get a close up look at a working steam locomotive. Cab riders will take a one hour ride in the cab of either the Sierra No. 3®, the Sierra No. 28 steam locomotive or a historic diesel locomotive (based on operating schedule and not guaranteed). Cab riders will receive a certificate at the end of their cab ride signed by the locomotive engineer and fireman. Cab rider will be allowed time to take a photo in front of the locomotive with the engine crew once back at the depot.
Cancellations are eligible for refunds if made at least two weeks prior to scheduled cab ride. On the day of the scheduled cab ride, riders must arrive at least half an hour early to complete a brief safety training and sign release of liability. Trains will not be held for latecomers and there are no refunds.
- Must be 16 years of age if riding alone, or at least 13 years of age, when accompanied by an adult parent or guardian. Both must pay full fare.
- Must be physically capable of standing for the duration of a train experience.
- Must have full mobility of all limbs and able to climb up to six vertical steel ladder type rungs or stairs unassisted and without the aid of any assisting device. (Climbing into the locomotive cab requires strength, balance and agility using both arms and legs). Riders must always face the ladder when climbing to and from the cab of any locomotive. Stairs are open metal grates or steel ladders. Steel decking surfaces may be slippery or uneven. The sensation of motion within the locomotive cab is different than aboard a passenger rail car. Riders may find space in the locomotive confining. Fuel oil and exhaust fumes, horns, bells, whistles, and mechanical and loud compressed air noises are part of the sensory experience for riders. Hearing protection will be provided if requested.
- Must wear proper clothing (no tank tops, shorts, high heels, or open toed shoes). Natural fiber, and long sleeved clothing must be worn. Shoes must be non-slip, closed toe and closed heel). Clothing may get soiled, dress accordingly. Sun protection (hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.) is recommended.
- No self-contained breathing equipment (oxygen) or service animals.
- Cab riders who are vision or hearing impaired must be accompanied by a companion 18 years of age or older. Companion fare will be waived. Railtown reserves the right to deny cab rides to those who may be considered unable to ride safely.
- Riders must agree to follow the instructions of the train and engine crew. While the train crew is free to converse with riders at their discretion, there are important duties they must attend to, without becoming distracted. Cab rider must remain in the cab of the locomotive until instructed to exit by the engine crew. Failure to follow the instructions of the train and engine crew will result in the cab ride being terminated or canceled with no refunds.
- Cab riders who appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will have their ride canceled, with no refund.
- Use of cellular telephone camera and video is permitted with permission of the crew.
- No firearms or weapons are permitted.
- On the day of the scheduled cab ride the cab rider will be given a brief safety training and will be required to sign a release of liability and photography consent form. If under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign these releases. Photo ID will be required at check in.
Want Excursion Train Tickets