4808 SOUTH VALLEY PIKE
The first Rockingham County Fair was held at the Linville Ball Park, August 31 - September 3, 1949. Many smaller fairs were held before 1949 at Ed's Park at Rawley Springs, in Harrisonburg on the Whitesel-Sit lot, and at the present location of Memorial Stadium. From 1950-1951, the fair was four days long, from 1952-1963, five days long, and since 1964, the fair has run for six days.
The fair has been held at the present site on US Rt. 11 since 1980.
The fairgrounds currently account for 111 acres of land, including a 21,000-square-foot exhibit hall. In addition, the fairgrounds include a barn complex with more than 80,000 square feet under roof, providing for a capacity of hundreds of hogs, sheep, goats, beef cattle, and dairy cattle; a farm museum; a building for horticulture, flowers and farm crop displays; a building for poultry/rabbit exhibits; and numerous food concession buildings run by local civic organizations.
There is also a 4,000 seat grandstand, which seats an additional 2,500 at ground level. There is parking on the grounds for over 7,000 vehicles, with parking capacity expanding in 2014.